Annan War Memorial was unveiled on 4 December 1921 by Lt-Gen Sir Francis J Davies KCB, KCMG, KCVO (1864–1948), General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Scottish Command. The bronze sculpture of the soldier was by Henry Price, who also sculpted the war memorial in Maxwelltown, Dumfries. The rest of the work, including the Creetown granite pedestal, was carried out by Orlando Rae of James Rae and Sons, Annan, whose great nephew Peter Rae maintains the monument to this day. The cost of £1700 was raised by public subscription.
The inscription on the side panels reads: ‘In memory of the men of the Burgh and Parish of Annan who fell in the Great War 1914-1918.’ Round the sides of the base is written: ‘1939-1945, Glorious their fate. Splendid their doom. Give them praise, not pity. Honour them and weep not.’
The unveiling ceremony took place on a Sunday afternoon, and during the morning reference was made in all local churches to the occasion. It was estimated over four thousand people gathered around the memorial, including around a hundred ex-service men.
During the unveiling ceremony the two hundred and six names of those commemorated were read out by Captain W Cuthbertson MC, and Captain J Macdonald. A guard of honour was formed by the local detachment of the Territorial Army, under the command of Captain AW Scott, and behind the detachment were the Scouts, Guides, Brownies and Cubs.
Annan War Memorial was dedicated by the Rev. Neil McCaig and the ‘Last Post’ was sounded by Buglers Jardine, Johnstone and Joseph Comrie, who stood on the balcony of the Town Hall. Two minutes silence was held, and then the ‘Reveille’ was sounded. The Rev. AA Campbell, Erskine United Free Church, gave the Benediction. Over a hundred wreaths were placed on the memorial by relatives of the fallen, public organisations and a large floral tribute from the ex-service men was laid by two disabled soldiers, Mr JCF Prendergast and Mr J Weild.